Part of Something Bigger
MissionsFest 2017—October 14 to 22—brings us face-to-face with God's grand mission to restore a broken world. Each of us has a part, using our unique gifts and experiences, and we do it together!
The Lord has assigned each a task.
I planted the seed, Apollos watered it,
but God made it grow.
The one who plants and the one who waters
have one purpose. . .
for we are co-workers in God's service.
—from 1 Corinthians 3:5-9
- Creation of a unique photo mosaic display in the Atrium—comprised of 3,500+ photos of our church family—graphically displaying how each of us is a vital part of something bigger!
- Collecting 1,000 Food Paks to be delivered by our WBC Hunger Team and other Children's Hunger Fund partner churches—a great family project!
- Thirty WBC missionaries and partners (20 couples and singles) from sixteen nations will share stories of impact in our Adult Classes, Children's and Student Ministries, and mid-week programs for all ages.
- Stories of Heartache and Hope along the Refugee Highway—a compelling Sunday evening event on October 15, exploring how God is working among Syrian refugees in Lebanon, migrants into Greece, and refugees in our neighborhoods.
- A Night on the Nile—a dinner and program for maturing adults (55+) featuring WBC missionary Randy Capp, who spearheads creative outreach in Egypt.
- Missions Fair in the Atrium to learn about our partner ministries serving in our area and around the world.
- 2018 GO Teams (short-term missions trips) will be unveiled to global destinations, as well in the US to work in hurricane relief and in a prison setting.
- Prayer Path—Thirteen stations along the path around our campus offer guided prayers in English and Spanish for our missionaries and partners who are lifting up the Gospel globally and locally. Combine a brisk fall walk with prayerful meditation!
Sunday Morning, October 15
Aussie Steve Addison is our special guest speaker in all three services, opening our eyes to dramatic ways God is working and how we each have a part. Author of Movements That Change the World and What Jesus Started, Steve began his research into dynamic missionary movements while serving as a church planter in Australia. He has since become a leading voice on discipleship movements around the world. We look forward to insights that will inspire us to more fully celebrate and engage in the global Great Commission.
Special Event Sunday Night
October 15, 6:30-8:00 pm, East Worship Center
Stories of Heartache and Hope along the Refugee Highway
Gather your small group, family, and friends for this special presentation, featuring compelling stories from our missionaries and indigenous partners who are on the front lines of bringing hope and relief to various refugee populations—Syrians in Lebanon, migrants on Lesvos Island in Greece, and here in our own communities. We will also hear from refugees in our church family who have come to faith in Christ.
Sunday Morning, October 22
Lon Allison, WBC's Pastor of Teaching and Outreach, speaks in all three services on our local "Reach" mission. He will elevate our understanding of the tremendous global diaspora (scattering) of refugees and immigrants and challenge us on how we can welcome "the nations" God is bringing to our community.
Our visiting missionaries and partners will present in most regularly scheduled ministries and classes for all ages. Roster includes:
- Carolyn Adolph, Florida/SIM/Medical
- Mindy Beetham, US/SIM/”Third Culture Kids” Coordinator
- Randy Capp, Egypt/Bible Society of Egypt/Design & Publishing
- Javier & Marcela Comboni, Spain/GEM/Immigrant Outreach & Church Planting
- George & Beverly Durance, United Kingdom & US/TeachBeyond/Executive Leadership
- Stefano Fehr, Germany/Call of Hope/Aid & Outreach among Muslim Peoples
- Marcos & Becky Gomez, Spain/Serge/Church Planting & Outreach
- Marek Hancik, Czech Republic/Titus International/Church Planting
- Scott Hawkins, North Carolina/International Students Inc./Duke University
- Christine Hill, Germany/TeachBeyond/Special Needs Education
- Wally & Natasha Kulakoff, Eurasia/Mission Eurasia/Training & Outreach
- Karen Kurth, Romania/GEM/Outreach & Disciple-Making
- Johnathan Macris, Greece/Hellenic Ministries/Executive Leadership & Outreach
- Jeremy & Christy Otten, Europe/WorldVenture/Theological Education & Counseling
- Carlos & Becki Pinto, Ecuador/United World Mission/Training Latino Missionaries & Counseling
- Justine Rehak, Niger/SIM/Occupational Therapy
- Dan & Sheryl Shedd, Ecuador/Reach Beyond/Executive Leadership for Latin America
- Josh & Melanie S., Greece/GEM/Refugee Ministry
- Brian Van Zante, US (transitioning from Japan)/Navigators/Campus Ministry
For more information, contact:
Jan Sokoloski, Global Outreach Associate, 630.876.6630
Joel Duncan, Local Outreach Director, 630.876.6668