Around the World, Across the Street
MissionsFest 2018—October 20 to 28—brings us face-to-face with GOD's grand mission to restore a broken world. EACH of us has a part, using our unique gifts and experiences, and we do it TOGETHER!
"God has given each of you a gift...
Use them well to serve one another."
—1 Peter 4:10, NLT
We want to celebrate the "power of presence" and be inspired by the many avenues and platforms whereby God's presence—through us—is bringing hope and changing lives around the world and across the street!
- Celebrating the Tenth Anniversary of Puente del Pueblo, our holistic outreach to our neighbors in West Chicago, with stories of impact of this "bridge of the people."
- Hearing from 30 WBC missionaries and partners (20 couples and singles) from fourteen nations will share stories of impact in our Adult Communities, Kids' and Student Life, and mid-week programs for all ages.
- Journey to Japan—a dinner and program for maturing adults (55+) featuring WBC missionaries Kent and Yuko Muhling, who are creatively building bridges to the Gospel in this largely secular Asian nation.
- 2019 GO Teams (short-term missions trips) will be unveiled to global destinations, as well as in North America, including opportunities to work among First Nation Peoples and in a prison setting.
- Missions Fair in the Atrium to learn about our partner ministries serving in our area and around the world.
Sunday Morning, October 21
Guest speaker for Global MissionsFest Sunday is Dr. Ed Stetzer—author, speaker, researcher, pastor, and church planter. Dr. Stetzer presently serves as the Executive Director of the Billy Graham Center, was interim pastor at Moody Church in Chicago, and is a teaching pastor at the Wheaton Campus of Highpoint Church. He will tie our theme to highlights in his new book entitled, "Christians in the Age of Outrage: How to Bring Our Best When the World is at its Worst," which focuses on living winsomely for Christ in our polarized and cynical culture. Ed brings a commonsensical understanding of the currents of influence and a compelling challenge to Christians to live refreshingly different.
Sunday Morning, October 28
Rev. Rufus Smith IV closes out MissionsFest , when we focus on Local Outreach and celebrate the tenth anniversary of Puente del Pueblo. Rev. Smith is the Senior Pastor of Hope Evangelical Presbyterian Church in Memphis (TN), one of the largest 100 congregations in America. Prior to coming to Memphis, Rev. Smith was the Senior Pastor of The City of Refuge Church in Houston, an inter-racial, inter-generational, biblically centered and socially active fellowship. For three years, Rufus was the Lead Chaplain for the NBA Houston Rockets. He was also the Founder and CEO of the FORGE for Families, which employed athletics, after-school enrichment, adult life-skills, and entrepreneurial programs as a means to empower "at risk" families.
Our visiting missionaries and partners will present in most regularly scheduled ministries and classes for all ages. Roster includes:
- Pavel & Natasha Alexandrov
Russia/Reach Beyond/Radio & Disciple Making
- Philip B.
- Randy & Nancy Capp
Grand Rapids/Bible Society of Egypt/Design & Publishing
- Kevin & Rahela Conway
- Rod Duttweiler
South Africa/United World Mission/Developing Young Leaders
- David Frank
Spain/GEM/Camping Ministry Leadership
- Judy Frey
Kenya/SIM/Counseling, Consulting, Training
- Steve & Janice Griswell
Mexico/OC International/Leadership & Training
- Eric & Kathy Gundy
Albania/One Collective/Camping Ministry & Discipleship
- Waldemar & Renate Kurz
Little Lambs/Central Asia & Ukraine/Training & Orphan Care
- Dan & Corrie Linsz
USA/Sports Friends/Sports Ministry
- Mihai & Tammy Lundell
Romania/OC International/Outreach & Training
- Kent & Yuko Muhling
- Brent & Nicole Preston
- Jonathan & Cindee Raney
- Elisei & Adriana Rusu
Romania Leadership Ministries/Theological Education
- Bob & Jeanette Schroer
North Africa & Middle East/LifeAgape/Development
- Daniel & Charis
Asia/Medical & Education
- Beth Wyse
Taiwan/TEAM/Onboarding New Missionaries
For more information, contact:
Jan Sokoloski, Global Outreach Associate, 630.876.6630
Joel Duncan, Local Outreach Director, 630.876.6668